Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Photos: Join Me on the Bridge: Murray

Today was International Women's Day.  Sadly (and I don't know why), we don't really celebrate this holiday in the United States.  When I lived in Russia I got flowers and chocolates from all my students; when I lived in Brazil people wished me happy women's day all day long on March 8.  Although none of this happened today, I was able to celebrate International Women's Day in a different way today...

Utah for Congo wanted to join in the worldwide Join Me on the Bridge campaign, to gather in solidarity and express our hopes for peace and justice and global gender equality.  Today thousands of people gathered on hundreds of bridges, all over the world--and a few of us here in Utah were on bridges, too.  Thanks to everyone who joined us, and thank you to Meili Ware for taking these great photos of our Murray gathering!




"What would happen if one woman told the truth about her life?
The world would split open."

(Muriel Rukeyser)

1 comment: